The Sindhudurg Fort,was built in 1664 AD on a low rocky 48-acre island off the Malvan coast. Vijaydurg and Sindhudurg are twin forts from the days of Shivaji’s time that is a historic place with its serene coastal beauty.
The main entrance has a fort rampart which has the hand and foot prints of Shivaji Maharaj on limestone. These hand and foot prints clearly visible even today are the only ones to be seen. This sight is worth a visit!
Sindhudurg is just 510 km from Mumbai via the Goa Highway. The fort can be reached through a narrow a channel, between two small islands of Dhontara and Padmagad. Ferries ply at regular intervals from the Malvan port to the Sindhudurg fort.
Shortest Route From Mumbai: Kms: 489 via road (NH66)
Duration: 10 hrs
From Goa : Kms: 135
Duration: 3 hrs
From Mumbai: Dadar – Sindhudurg
From Goa: Madgaon – Sindhudurg
Things to do around the Fort:
Shri Shivrajeshwar Temple
Jai Ganesh Mandir
Our Lady of Rosary Church
- Malvan Marine Sanctuary – Rich in coral & marine life and can be visited throughout the year. Its main wildlife attractions are black-headed gulls, terns, plovers, water-fowl, ducks, egrets etc.
- Rock Garden – A beautiful garden that overlooks the Chivla beach.
- Scuba Diving – Clear waters near the fort make it an an ideal place to Scuba Dive
- Snorkeling – It is a another popular activity to see coral reefs. Marine life & coral reefs can be seen while snorkeling, on the outer side of the Sindhudurg Fort walls.
- Shri Shivrajeshwar Temple – Situated inside the Sindhudurg Fort. It was built by Shivaji Maharaj’s younger son, Rajaram in 1695 & dedicated in honor of his father.
- Queen’s Beach – A small beach situated, just outside the southern wall of the Sindhudurg Fort. It was the exclusive bathing spot of Queen Tarabai.
- Malvan Beach – The pristine beach is situated in Malvan and remains the most popular beaches.
- Jai Ganesh Mandir – Built by the famous astrologer, Mr. Jayant Salgaonkar in 2004 & is dedicated to Lord Ganesha. This temple is now a major tourist attraction.
- Chivla Beach – It is a white sand beach located in Malvan. It is lined with coconut trees & has rocks at its end. Water sport activities can be done on this beach.
- Our Lady of Rosary Church – It is a Roman Catholic church situated in Malvan. It was built in 1815 & is considered as one of the most beautiful architecture in Sindhudurg District.
Eating places around the Fort :
- Atithi Bamboo Restaurant
- Hotel Chaitanya
- Aswad Veg Food
- Hotel Shirgaonkar
- Swami Family Restaurant
- Ocean’s Paradise Restaurant