The quaint town of Dapoli is also known as Camp Dapoli. The British set their camps in the Konkan region here and this town thus has an old abandoned church from British times. Home to one of the biggest Agricultural Universities in India – Dr. Balasaheb Sawant Konkan Krishi Vidyapeeth, beautiful beaches and housing upcoming resorts, Dapoli is emerging not just with tourist flocks but also commercially.
HOW TO GET THERE
The simplest and best way to get in is by road. Dapoli is 217 kms from Mumbai along NH-17 (Mumbai-Goa) & 180 kms from Pune.
Mumbai: 5 hrs
Pune: 5 hrs
Goa: 9 hrs
The nearest train station is Khed which is 30 kms away from Dapoli.
Duration: 2 hrs
The nearest airport is Ratnagiri which is around 127 kms away.
BEST TIME TO VISIT
Since Dapoli is located on the coastal belt of the country, one can think of visiting this place in the winter months – October end to mid-February. As the Konkan region comes alive during the monsoons, a different hue of Dapoli can be experienced when it rains here.
PLACES TO VISIT
- Asud – A tiny village around 10 kms from Dapoli is visited for its famous ancient temples of Shree Keshavraj and Shree Vyagreshwar.
- Karde Beach – An ideal beach holiday getaway this untouched Konkan beach with clean sand & Casuarina plantations will mesmerize you.
- Harnai Beach – just 15 kms away, this beach promises to bring back the calm within you with its tranquil atmosphere.
- Kadyavarcha Ganpati Temple – This temple is located in Anjarle, a small village near Dapoli. Visitors must climb a mighty old stone staircase to reach the top to experience magnificent views of the coastline.
- Panhalekaji Caves – Located on the banks of the river Kotjai, these rock cut temples are a must visit for history lovers.
- Unhavare Hot Water Spring – If in Dapoli, your travel is incomplete without visiting the Unhavare Hot Springs, a quick one-hour drive away. The water from these springs is believed to have medicinal values and is rich in Sulphur which is good for the skin.
Planning to visit Dapoli : Click Here
Visitors can explore the varieties of the Konkan region in Dapoli – dried fish, papads and fry-ems, homemade chutneys and pickles! Souvenirs from beach stalls can be great gifts to give away as well.
Konkan is well-known for its seafood and the Konkani-Malvani cuisine does not disappoint! Visitors can indulge in exploring this spicy coconut laden cuisine which is tantalizing – fried fish, curries with crustaceans served with a humble serving of steamed rice. Kokam juice and Solkadhi, found all over this region is a must try.
Popular Restaurants –
- Annapurna Restaurant
- Jagdish Lunch Home
- Hari’s Vegetarian Restaurant
THINGS TO DO
- Water sports and dolphin watching at the Dapoli beach.
- Visit the calming beaches – Hanai & Karde
- A hot spring dip at Unhavare.
- Enjoy Konkani food